Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Table redo and paint technique

A couple of weeks ago I painted an ugly side table.
You may remember me telling you about it. If not you can go HERE for a quick recap.
I never did tell you what my technique was.
I had come across one of my old books called the Painted Kitchen that turned out to
be from the now  famous Annie Sloan.
In that book she of course used her chalk paint.
I never even paid any attention to it back when I first read the book.
I don’t think anyone was selling it in the states.
Turns out that she uses it as chalkboard paint too.
I knew how to make chalkboard paint so I thought I’d use it to paint furniture too.
6
Now since I’ve never used AS paint I can’t really do a fair comparison.
I do plan on getting some soon but for now it was
fun to try this method.
And I liked the results.
Ok now you want to know the details.
All you need is 2 tablespoons of sandless grout
to 1 cup of latex paint.
Mix well.
I did not sand the piece.
I think on this occasion it worked to my favor that it was rather beaten up on top but I did clean it with a damp cloth.
The paint dries fast…..from the sandless grout.
After a short drying time I waxed the surface with butchers wax. I’m sure you could try any wax with similar results.
Then I put on another coat of paint.
Then dry and sand.
Waxed again with straight wax first.
Then I added gel stain to the wax to add some depth.
You can also use tinted wax.
Dry and puffed out.
See EASY!
tablecloth

I painted the legs too but decided that I wanted to make a skirt for it.
A strip cloth skirt so I could still have the top exposed.
I used an old pillow case and attached the strips to a single piece of fabric.
Then used velcro to attach to the table.


skirt


I had some cool fabric I had picked up at the quilt store ( Coastal Sewing Machines)  that resembled
  tape measures and used a few strips for added interest.
(think I may need to add more)

under

Good for hiding things underneath the skirt.


lace


Just found this lace and yesterday and thought maybe I might add it to the edge.

on edge



hung


What do you think?
Is it too much?
Maybe I could make that detachable too.
When I was making my skirt my friend Suzan was making  strips for her
lamp too.

z's lamp

See more of Suzan’s makeover
Maybe I’ll use a small light under my table?
that would be fun.

top


Not sure what I’m going to decorate the table with. This was just thrown together.

orchid

The only thing I know I want is the orchid.
Every room needs a plant.
Even if it is a fake one.
Permanent botanical( sorry)
blue wedgewood

My dear friend Annie gave me this. It’s wedgewood…
but I’m sure you didn’t need me to tell you that.
It’s delicate and regal.
I may not be using it in the room but for now it makes me think of her.
So for now it will stay.
I hadn’t planned on using blue in this room this time around but when I do
I want to use this photo as my inspiration for the bedding.
untitled barn house
Found it on the latest post of Barn House

Click on photo and go to the Barn House blog to see more.
Those guys are incredibly talented.


Linking up to White Wednesday

Have a good week!

24 comments:

Kathleen said...

Looks good! I love that lace trim!

oldgreymare said...

If the only thing you want is the orchid, well then I'll take the dish of jewels!!! No?

Carole, it looks perfect for the room and yes, maybe add a light beneath? I'm digging the open shade too, think I'll try that next time I find another vintage one.
Thank you dear for the shout out...it's why we all think you're just fabulous!!!
xx
z

erin's art and gardens said...

sandless grout eh? i'll have to try that, as annie's paint is really expensive! the table is cute...as far as the lace, if you decide to use it, maybe use velcro as it would be hard to clean? but i am lovin the srip skirt and the naked lampshade......and even though i LOVE fresh flowers, there are some really gorgeous silk orchids out there (and i own some)...don't tell.
erin
xxoo

Anne Marie said...

I think the lace trim is too much...but I'm going through a totally different phase right now - 6months ago I'd say "add more trim!!"

you can't beat the BH for inspiration that's for sure

xo+blessings,
Anne Marie

Blessed Serendipity said...

Love your table all layered up pretty!

Danielle

Miss Gracie's House said...

Hi Carole,
That is interesting about the paint...all of the fuss is kind of crazy! Everything is so pretty!
Rene

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

What a gorgeous white post! The orchids looks so elegant. Thanks for sharing.
Hope to see you on my blog:)

Laura @ 52 FLEA said...

You are so creative Carole! I like the lace trim...think it finishes it off! I adore all that blue bedding and will pop over to see more at Barn House. :)

Renée Finberg said...

the lace is the bomb!!

love it.

Jill said...

Thank you!! I googled instructions after your last post about your painting and came up with nothing. Should I know what butchers wax is?

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

Hi Carole, Your table turned out great! I add lace to almost everything, so I like it with the lace border :-).
Hugs to you,
Julia

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

Oh Carole,
You are a clever clogs !! Your table looks great (...and, how do you find the time ?!! )
We have used Annie Sloanes paint before as, it isn't too expensive over here.....but, whenever we want to paint a piece of furniture, we just find anything off-white that we already have left over fron when we have painted a room. We always use Farrow and Ball paint which has a lovely chalky finish.
I have just finished our old boring coffee table. Painted, distressed and, as a finishing florish, I stencilled a few letters and numbers onto it to give it a bit of an industrial look. Perhaps I should do a post about it although, typical me, I didn't take any ' before ' photos !!
I LOVE your orchid. I have one that my sister bought me a few years ago now. Years ago, I would never have allowed a ' fake ' plant near my house but, they are so realistic now and, although I am quite good in the garden, I never have much success with real plants in the house. I either neglect them or I water them to death !! I even killed an Aspidistra once and they are indestructible ....that's why they are nicknamed the cast iron plant !!!! XXXX

Dorthe said...

Carole, that is a fantastic table now- and I love the lace around- the wedgewood is so beautiful, and looks fresh with the white- your photoes are amazing, dear--thanks for the links.
Hugs to you dear friend.
Dorthe

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

I love your table and who would have thought you could make your own chalk paint! I really like using the strips of fabric and the pretty lace trim. Beautiful project.

hugs
Sissie

www.MaisonStGermain.com said...

I love how it came out and think the lace is the perfect icing on the cake. But you know me, I love layers:) It now looks finished. Have a great week.
~Debra xxx
Capers of the vintage vixens

Unknown said...

It looks wonderful, and I love the added lace. So funny....Heather and I were just talking about how to make your own chalkboard paint yesterday. But I couldn't quite recall the technique!

Cheryl ~ ZanyMayd said...

Loving that table with the skirt, the Trim is Fabulous.... Love all your Photo Vignettes ~ Beautiful!

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Looks so pretty Carole!
I think I might try that paint technique, you've made it sound so easy!

mary pernula said...

Thanks for stopping by my dear blog friend. Hope the summer is treating you and George good. Love the table, will need to try that paint combinations soon. Hugs Mary

Rosemary said...

Great look for that table Carole.
Love it!! I'm might have to try your method!!
Thanks for the tips!!
XO

the old white house said...

Oh my goodness, that crochet trim is gorgeous so it goes perfectly well with your fabulous new table! Thank you for the recipe, I really need to give it a try. I spotted a table and a chair in the barn that need a good sprucing up. Is sandless grout the little tubs of grout that is already mixed? Love that inspiration photo! t. xoxoxoxo

Tanya said...

White WOW - saving this post for future reference on the paint. It's all beautiful - LOVE the strip cloth skirt AND the lace (and I will be on the hunt for the measuring tape fabric now, too...I thought you had just hung actual tapes in there. Happy Thursday, Carole...thanks for the inspiration!

Jane said...

Hi Carole,
The table looks gorgeous...love that skirt!! Thanks for all of the great info. on the paint job, I'm bookmarking this one and going to give it a try. I'm going to go buy some sandless grout today!
Have a wonderful weekend.
Jane

Mitzi said...

Wow, I'm so excited to have found your blog! I love your style, and I know I'll be able to come here for inspiration in the future!