Pages

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Almost back!



Well my dear little laptop will not be coming back! It seems that I wore the poor girl out and the power cord was damaged and not able to connect to the mother board........(all greek to me)....all I know is it wasn't worth the expensive of repairing her. George is toying with the idea that we may try fixing it himself. Not sure a tool box and tool belt is all that you need :)) but he's been known to dazzle me with his knowledge of things unknown to lil ol me!
My hero!
Hopefully I will be purchasing a new one very soon. Meanwhile I have been hold up at our local public library on their computers getting my orders done for Spring. It's made me realize what a good computer is really suppose to perform like.....I had forgotten!!! mine had really gotten ridiculously slow. I'm looking forward to getting something faster and hopefully more enjoyable to use.

                                
                                   Meanwhile I thought I'd share this with you....                                   
As we start the new year, here is a story to consider and to make 2010 the best year yet!


When things in your life seem almost too much to handle, when 24 hours in a day are not enough, remember the mayonnaise jar and the 2 Beers.

A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him.
When the class began, he wordlessly picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls..

He then asked the students if the jar was full.

They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar He shook the jar lightly.

The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls.

He then asked the students again if the jar was full.

They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar.

Of course, the sand filled up everything else.

He asked once more if the jar was full.

The students responded with a unanimous 'yes.'

The professor then produced two Beers from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar effectively filling the empty space between the sand.

The students laughed..

'Now,' said the professor as the laughter subsided, 'I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life..

The golf balls are the important things---your family, your children, your health, your friends and your favorite passions---and if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full.

The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house and your car.

The sand is everything else---the small stuff .

'If you put the sand into the jar first,' he continued, 'there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls.

The same goes for life.

If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff you will never have room for the things that are important to you.

Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness.

Spend time with your children.

Spend time with your parents.

Visit with grandparents.
Take time to get medical checkups..

Take your spouse out to dinner.

Play another 18.

There will always be time to clean the house and fix the disposal.

Take care of the golf balls first---the things that really matter.
Set your priorities.
The rest is just sand.
One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the Beer represented.
The professor smiled and said, 'I'm glad you asked.'
The Beer just shows you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of Beers with a friend.

You guys are like my GOLF balls!
   Hope to have a "virtual" beer with you all soon.....
miss you!

xo,
Carole

18 comments:

Unknown said...

God Bless you for venturing to the library just to share your beautiful picture with us. Wonderful post today and we are keeping our fingers crossed that you are back up and running at home again real soon.

A New England Life said...

I think we really try to live by that philosophy in our house. It wasn't like that when I was growing up, there never seemed to be enough time for us kids, so I tried to make my family the center of everything. Hopefully I've succeded.

Oh good for you in getting a new laptop! Everyone is raving about Macs these days but they're awfully expensive. However, given the chance I'd buy one. No crashing, no virus', no losing pictures ... sounds good to me! Best of luck in making your decision Carole!

Sharon

kjkljk;ljljgjgfuyhd said...

Cute post, Carole!
Cheers to you!
Franny :+D

Sueann said...

I am glad that the local libraries have computers that people can use. Good luck on your search for a new one. I love my new laptop...it works great!
Hugs
SueAnn

Whatever Is Lovely said...

Thank you for sharing that Beautiful story with us Carole!! & Your Gorgeous flower photo! I wish I lived close to you so you could show me how to grow Beautiful things! Right now I only have things that God takes care of for me! Maybe I'll venture out of my comfort zone this spring & try something that takes some effort!

So sorry about your lappie.. Just think... Your New one is going to be Awesome!!

I posted more pics of Josh.. LOL... Today he turned 16.. I couldn't resist! He still doesn't know about the sleeping sofa ones..

Big Hugs ~ Teresa

Debra@CommonGround said...

Hi Carole, love that metaphor. Making priorities and putting first things first. I have to remind myself of those when my OCD rears it's ugly head and makes me crazy about cleaning my floors! ha ha! Hope you get your computer soon.
hugs,
Debra

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

What a delightful story! I'm so glad my mayonaisse jar has lots of golf balls ;)

Kathleen said...

No beer for me, but I'd share a cuppa or a soda any day..
Good luck with your new computer. Let me know what you pick..I am thinking I would like a laptop!

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Hi Carole
I love that image...so gorgeous and the contrast of b&w to colour adds to it's charm. Well I think you are a golf ball too!! One of my little golf balls rolling around the Jar of Julie [hahahaha sorry]. It really is a sweet anecdote and quite relevant...Take care Dear Carole and come back to us with SuperPC all charged up and ready to the leave the mothership [OH I meant Motherboard!!] hehe xxxx Julie

June said...

Awesome, awesome story. I hope that I only make room for the important things! You being one of them!
Sorry about the laptop:(
hugs

Laura @ 52 FLEA said...

Cute and oh so true!
Sorry bout your laptop...
Using my dad's here...
:)Laura

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

So pleased that you're nearly back, Carole.
You are a real trooper to go down to the library.
I love the story about the golf balls and such a brilliant analogy.
You are one big golfball to me too, Carole, and I look forward to that virtual beer sometime soon.(lovely photo.Can't wait for the Spring) XXXX

Pansy Cottage Girl said...

That is excellent! Thank you for sharing it. I will be forwarding it to my friends & family.
Happy New Year.
Hugs.

Renée Finberg said...

WOW
you are the best.
i love this whole post.

wise words.
xxx

erin's art and gardens said...

you know...it has been forever since i was in a library! i used to love taking the kids there...i should go! sorry about the puter problems! you will love having a new faster model! i so love your pretty floral faded to b+w! really nice...i miss flowers in the winter. something to look forward to in springtime!
have a good weekend, my dear,
erin

BellaRosa said...

Carole, so sorry about your laptop...I hope it gets fixed soon or that you get a new one.. I am using my daughters laptop, since I rehurt my shoulder, I am sitting on the couch visiting everyone and all I can say is I want one :) I love your post...that lil story was wonderful...I am going to share it with a few of the people here in my life...sometimes we all just need to be reminded right :) Stay warm and safe when out on the roads. Besos, Rose

Anne Lorys said...

I am so glad that I read this today! This is precisely what I needed to hear, exactly when I needed to hear it.

Prayers for a lightning fast new puter headed your way!

Anne

The French Bear said...

Carole, such an inspiring post! I am so sad about your laptop, hopefully it can be fixed!!!
Hugs,
Margaret B